- Two surveys reveal that relationships between brands and consumers in the UK insurance market have deteriorated to the point of estrangement, with providers assuming claims are twice as inflated as customers actually admit
- CII agrees to sell Aldermanbury HQ to City of London Corporation-move to EC3 district planned within 12 months
- Barnett Waddingham investigation highlights significant inconsistency in the investment performance of UK with profit funds
- FCA launches its new asset management authorisation hub
- Insurance Europe supports recommendation to delay application of Insurance Distribution Directive(IDD)
- Upcoming implementation of GDPR elevates cyber risk to top of corporate agenda according to Marsh global survey
- Beazley and Munich Re, through Vector partnership, report strong demand for cover to guard against cyber-attacks threatening global companies expired
- Chubb survey "bridging the Cyber-Risk Gap" highlights different views of risk managers and IT professionals expired
- Markel International unveils fintech policy offering comprehensive protection for businesses in the financial technology sector in Asia following UK success expired
- Symbility to partner with NSR Management in the UK expired
- Apollo to acquire majority stake in Catalina expired
- New senior hires at The Standard Syndicate expired
9th August 2017
Standard Life interim pre-tax operating profit up 6%-net outflows of £3.7bn
Standard Life has reported half year results-highlights are;
-Growing assets by meeting the evolving and diverse needs of our clients and customers
Assets under administration(AUA) increased by 1% to £361.9bn. Gross inflows were resilient at £20.7bn(H1 2016: £21.8bn) but redemptions increased to £24.4bn(H1 2016: £20.9bn) resulting in net outflows of £3.7bn.
Growth channels AUA up 3% to £244bn with net outflows of £0.6bn, including £5.6bn from GARS, offset by an increase of 32% in net inflows into other products to £5bnbn (H1 2016: £3.8bn) including:
Institutional and Wholesale benefiting from client and channel diversification with net inflows ex. GARS of £1.2bn (H1 2016: £1.2bn)
Workplace and Retail net inflows of £4.2bn(H1 2016: £2.8bn) included record net inflows on to the company adviser platforms driving total platform AUA up 11% to £49.2bn(FY 2016: £44.2bn)
Third party funds above benchmark over 1 year: 85%; 3 years: 74%; 5 years: 85%.
Revenue growth and continuing focus on financial discipline
-Fee based revenue up 5% to £836m with growth channels revenue up 7% to £616m(H1 2016: £577m)
Cost/income ratio stable at 62% (FY 2016: 62%) and excluding 1825 and Elevate down 1ppt to 60%
Operating profit before tax up 6% to £362m driven by 13% increase in profit excluding spread/risk.
-Generating cash and realising value to drive sustainable growth and returns to shareholders
Underlying cash generation up 1% to £256m and strong holding company cash position of £0.8bn(FY 2016: £0.9bn; H1 2016: £0.8bn)
Announced proposed IPO of Indian associate HDFC Life with offer for sale of up to 5.43ppts of 35% stake
Interim dividend per share up 8.2% to 7.00p
Well positioned for the next phase of transformation to a diversified world-class investment company.
Proposed merger with Aberdeen Asset Management expected to be effective on 14th August 2017
-Combined leadership teams working well together to ensure full business readiness for "Day 1".
Keith Skeoch, chief executive, comments "Standard Life has delivered a strong performance in the first half of 2017 with fee based revenue up 5% and operating profit up 6%. We continue to see the benefits of targeted investments to further our diversification agenda, the success of our newer investment solutions and the ongoing focus on operational efficiency. This has allowed us to grow assets, profits, cash flows and returns to shareholders.
With the proposed merger with Aberdeen on track for completion on 14th August we are ready to accelerate the pace of strategic delivery as we open the next chapter of our transformation to a diversified world-class investment company. The combined leadership team of Standard Life and Aberdeen has been working well together to ensure "Day 1" readiness. We are well placed to continue to meet changing client and customer needs globally, and to generate growing and sustainable returns for our shareholders."
Standard Life TRends(394 articles)