- Fitch updates Global Reinsurance 2018 Outlook to incorporate recent significant catastrophe losses
- AIR Worldwide releases “2017 Global Modeled Catastrophe Losses” report
- Standard & Poor's looks at main concerns for European insurers
- Swiss Re new sigma report says many life insurers are focused on enhancing the value of existing business
- EIOPA publishes an Opinion on monetary incentives and remuneration between providers of asset management services and insurers
- Equifax Touchstone reports total UK sales of protection products increased by 1.4% in Q3 2017 to £149.1m-a new five year high
- Allianz now a telematics service provider for Marmalade young driver offering expired
- Clyde & Co launches in-house data analytics lab that builds on relationship with University College London(UCL) expired
- First ILSBlockchain completed expired
- Lloyd's selects REG to assist in recording data and to help reduce the administrative burden on UK coverholders expired
- NIIT announces release of version 4.0 of its exposure management tool Exact expired
- Tropics Breeze workers' comp solution new features announced expired
9th August 2017
Standard Life interim pre-tax operating profit up 6%-net outflows of £3.7bn
Standard Life has reported half year results-highlights are;
-Growing assets by meeting the evolving and diverse needs of our clients and customers
Assets under administration(AUA) increased by 1% to £361.9bn. Gross inflows were resilient at £20.7bn(H1 2016: £21.8bn) but redemptions increased to £24.4bn(H1 2016: £20.9bn) resulting in net outflows of £3.7bn.
Growth channels AUA up 3% to £244bn with net outflows of £0.6bn, including £5.6bn from GARS, offset by an increase of 32% in net inflows into other products to £5bnbn (H1 2016: £3.8bn) including:
Institutional and Wholesale benefiting from client and channel diversification with net inflows ex. GARS of £1.2bn (H1 2016: £1.2bn)
Workplace and Retail net inflows of £4.2bn(H1 2016: £2.8bn) included record net inflows on to the company adviser platforms driving total platform AUA up 11% to £49.2bn(FY 2016: £44.2bn)
Third party funds above benchmark over 1 year: 85%; 3 years: 74%; 5 years: 85%.
Revenue growth and continuing focus on financial discipline
-Fee based revenue up 5% to £836m with growth channels revenue up 7% to £616m(H1 2016: £577m)
Cost/income ratio stable at 62% (FY 2016: 62%) and excluding 1825 and Elevate down 1ppt to 60%
Operating profit before tax up 6% to £362m driven by 13% increase in profit excluding spread/risk.
-Generating cash and realising value to drive sustainable growth and returns to shareholders
Underlying cash generation up 1% to £256m and strong holding company cash position of £0.8bn(FY 2016: £0.9bn; H1 2016: £0.8bn)
Announced proposed IPO of Indian associate HDFC Life with offer for sale of up to 5.43ppts of 35% stake
Interim dividend per share up 8.2% to 7.00p
Well positioned for the next phase of transformation to a diversified world-class investment company.
Proposed merger with Aberdeen Asset Management expected to be effective on 14th August 2017
-Combined leadership teams working well together to ensure full business readiness for "Day 1".
Keith Skeoch, chief executive, comments "Standard Life has delivered a strong performance in the first half of 2017 with fee based revenue up 5% and operating profit up 6%. We continue to see the benefits of targeted investments to further our diversification agenda, the success of our newer investment solutions and the ongoing focus on operational efficiency. This has allowed us to grow assets, profits, cash flows and returns to shareholders.
With the proposed merger with Aberdeen on track for completion on 14th August we are ready to accelerate the pace of strategic delivery as we open the next chapter of our transformation to a diversified world-class investment company. The combined leadership team of Standard Life and Aberdeen has been working well together to ensure "Day 1" readiness. We are well placed to continue to meet changing client and customer needs globally, and to generate growing and sustainable returns for our shareholders."
Standard Life TRends(394 articles)