- The CMA to investigate the proposed MUFG/DVB merger
- Banks need to buck their ideas up and improve their technology, says Infosys
- BBC figures show Barclays tops list of banks with most IT shutdowns
- Santander Brazil tops Fortune 2019 list for retail and commercial banking
- Fintech mega-deals lead to record transaction value in 1H2019, reveals Hampleton report
- UK Finance publishes regional mortgage trends for Q2 2019
- Trinity Financial Services selects ISGN's technology platforms expired
- UK homeowners could avoid £6k in interest by overpaying mortgage, finds comparethemarket.com expired
- Axiom offers clients new, white-label prepaid card programmes expired
- UK FIs and Irish Fintechs demonstrate the benefits of collaboration expired
- Mastercard expands global relationship with Riot Games expired
- OneSavings Bank announces another strong set of results expired
13th August 2019
Barclays to open its second Scottish Eagle Lab
Barclays is opening its second Eagle Lab in Scotland to support entrepreneurs in the North East of the country. The space in Aberdeen will be based within the city’s new home of digital and entrepreneurship, the ONE Tech Hub, as part of the ONE Codebase incubator and will be open for business in September.
As one of Barclays’ flagship Labs for Industry 4.0, it will help North East entrepreneurs build on and diversify from the area’s natural strength in oil and gas, as well as unlock the potential of emerging technologies – such as the Internet of Things, advanced manufacturing and robotics – associated with the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
The Lab’s Maker Space will feature facilities for digital fabrication, 3D printing and laser cutting, and a range of electronics equipment. This will provide businesses with access to the tools they need to rapidly produce and test prototypes in a matter of hours rather than weeks, avoiding prohibitive costs or having to look overseas.
Entrepreneurs using the space will be supported by an ecosystem manager who will provide mentoring, create connections and share opportunities to help high growth businesses achieve their ambitions. A dedicated Eagle Lab engineer will also be available to offer technical expertise and advice to enable Industry 4.0 businesses to flourish. Barclays’ local business banking team in Aberdeen and specialist ‘high-growth’ managers will also be available to provide banking support.
The facilities in Aberdeen will complement ONE CodeBase’s wider offering to provide a range of expert support for digital tech start-ups with unrivalled access to hot desks, co-working spaces, offices, meeting rooms and social areas. ONE CodeBase is a partnership between private-sector development body Opportunity North East (ONE) and the UK’s leading tech incubator CodeBase and sits at the heart of the digital community created by the ONE Tech Hub.
Stuart Brown, Head of SME Scotland at Barclays said: “Aberdeen has a wealth of businesses and entrepreneurs with ambitions, ideas and deep technical expertise who need access to the right resources and advice to help them start up and scale up. Opportunity North East and CodeBase share our vision for boosting economic prosperity and diversification through innovation and entrepreneurship. By working in collaboration, we can maximise the support we are able to offer business in the region.”