- FS industry agrees new code supporting victims of financial abuse
- The World Alliance of International Financial Centres launches
- Banks and law firms commit to new working practices for better mental health
- The FCA consults on its approach ahead of the UK’s exit from the EU
- Regulators must work together to avoid breakdown in cross-border financial services, says UK Finance
- Voice ID launches to customers of Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland
- Date of Bank of England stress testing results announced expired
- NAB choses Brilliance Financial Technology to transform pricing processes expired
- Target Group strengthens its Client Services team with double hire expired
- Over half of the UK’s workforce wants more help from employers with financial planning expired
- Fintech finance firm Duologi aims for ambitious growth expired
- JP Morgan mandatory coding training sets it apart from crowd, says Infosys expired
5th December 2017
Santander to sponsor UEFA Champions League
Banco Santander will become an official sponsor of the UEFA Champions League. The agreement begins next season (2018/19) and runs for three years, to 2020/21. The UEFA Champions League is the world’s most prestigious football club competition, with mass audiences in Santander’s main markets in Europe and the Americas. Santander will have the rights to pitch-side and television advertising spots, as well as tickets, client hospitality events and other rights.
Banco Santander Executive Chairman, Ana Botín, and the country heads of Santander’s 10 main markets, signed the agreement in Brazil alongside a UEFA representative. Two legends of football also participated in the event: Brazil’s Ronaldo who was there in person and Pelé who appeared via video.
Ana Botín said: “Santander's partnership with the UEFA Champions League, the world's most global and aspirational sporting competition, builds on our support of Libertadores, and, more recently, Racing Santander, the local football team of the Cantabrian city where our bank was founded 160 years ago. We love sport: our free-time exercise, which we do to challenge ourselves to be better, the weekend match we watch with family and friends, our loyalty to a club and the excitement of the spectacle. Ferrari and F1, to whom we are very grateful, have played an important role at Santander over the past 10 years. We will continue our support of sport because it is a valuable way to contribute to the prosperity of the communities where we work.”
Guy-Laurent Epstein, UEFA Events Marketing Director, said: “We’re delighted to welcome Santander into the UEFA Champions League sponsor family and are excited to partner with one of the most distinguished and forward-thinking banks globally. There is natural fit between the UEFA Champions League and Santander, with the Bank being consistently recognised within the best global brands and, of course, with the UEFA Champions League Final remaining the most watched annual sporting event on the planet.”
At the end of this year, Santander will conclude its successful sponsorship of the Formula 1 racing team, Scuderia Ferrari, which it has supported for the last eight seasons. The bank will also conclude its corporate sponsorship agreements with F1, which have helped increase Santander’s brand recognition around the world over the last 11 years.