- PRA publishes Review of Solvency II: Quantitative Impact Study (QIS)
- ABI comments on the Taskforce on Innovation, Growth and Regulatory Reform report
- Insurance Europe and Invest Europe publish joint position paper that calls on the EC to make improvements to Solvency II
- Swiss Re Institute report says COVID-19 cut macroeconomic resilience by 18% in 2020, while global insurance protection gap reaches new high
- New Cybereason Ransomware Study reveals true cost to business
- European associations launch European Retirement Week
- ConTe.it extends transformation to Claims with latest Guidewire deployment expired
- RMS releases annual Northern Hemisphere Tropical Cyclone Outlook expired
- Willis Tower Watson announced project to support the climate adaptation and financial resilience of coastal communities in Fiji and Papua New Guinea PNG) expired
- Intact and Tryg to sell Codan to Alm. Brand A/S Group expired
- Invalda INVL to acquire Mandatum Life expired
- SDLT Compass launches to give fully indemnified counsel and tech-enabled accuracy to residential conveyancing expired
9th May 2021
AIG has "excellent start" says CEO Zaffino
American International GroupAIG) has reported financial results for the first quarter.
“AIG had an excellent start to the year and that is reflected in our first quarter results with growth in General Insurance and continued strong performance in Life and Retirement,” said Peter Zaffino, AIG’s president and ceo.
In General Insurance, we delivered strong growth in net premiums written, driven by our North America and International Commercial businesses, and underwriting profitability. The combined ratio was 98.8 inclusive of catastrophe losses and 92.4, as adjusted. The successful repositioning of our global portfolio over the last three years allowed us to pivot from remediation to profitable growth, which we expect to continue throughout the year.
Life and Retirement delivered another solid quarter, with adjusted pre-tax income growth driven by diversified product offerings and increased investment returns. With strong sales and profitability, this business continues to be a market leader in the protection and retirement savings industry.
Our strong balance sheet and financial flexibility allow us to continue to invest in growth and core operating fundamentals with capital returns to shareholders when appropriate. During the first quarter we repurchased $362m of common stock and ended the quarter with $7.9bn of liquidity.
“I am immensely proud of our global colleagues and what we have accomplished together. Our first quarter results reflect significant momentum as we continue our pursuit to become a top performing company.”
AIG Trends(693 articles)